Sunday 25 March 2018

We can see the light!

London Marathon Training - 4 weeks to go!


Key -blue - both of us Purple -Kelly Orange -John 


Monday 19th March 2018 

Is there a better way to start the last week of term than with a snow day?! I couldn't believe it when I looked out of the window and saw the ground covered in a beautiful white blanket. It was 5am and we were planning on going to PT. As I'd ran yesterday, I didn't want to run today so I planned to drive...only when we went out to the car we found dangerously icy conditions. I didn't feel comfortable driving so we went back to bed and waited for confirmation of school being closed! 

Not wanting to miss out, John took the day off too and for the second time in a month, we had a lovely, relaxing snow day. 

At lunch time, John went out for a run so I went to the lunchtime yoga class. I am really feeling the benefit of these yoga sessions. It is definitely helping my muscles to be doing so much stretching. 

A later than planned recovery day for me due to the snow day: 6Miles @ 8:02MM pace 
A not-so-long run the day before and a relative short week of miles and no PT meant for very fresh and springy legs, a welcomed feeling.

Tuesday 20th March 2018 

We were up early this morning to head to the gym. It opens at 6:30 so we made sure we were there right when it opened so we could get 30mins of training in before we have to get ready for work. I did 3.1 miles on the cross trainer in 25 mins. Pretty pleased with that - it felt relatively easy and didn't hurt my foot at all- clearly a good exercise for PF. As I don't know how long it will take for my plantar fasciitis to clear up, my plan is to do a lot more on the cross trainer so that I don't lose too much fitness. 

In the evening, I went to yoga again. I amazed myself with my new found flexibility! Usually in yoga, I'm the uncoordinated one who is giggling, falling over and generally looking like a buffoon...today however, I was holding the poses steady, getting my arms and legs straight and feeling rather coordinated! I got home eager to show John...



I can touch the floor! I can reach my feet! It's a miracle! 



It's nice to see that there are some benefits to not running! 

A medium long run with the Maestro for me. I spent the first half running steady with some intermittent strides and the second half running strong throughout: 11Miles @ 7:37MM
Was good to run with someone instead of solo and good to have a chat and blow off some steam at the same time. With the Prom race coming up on Thursday, this was to be my longest run before the weekend.

Wednesday 21st March 2018 

John went out early for a run today so I went back to the gym to see if I could improve on my 5k cross trainer PB time! I smashed it! 22 mins - boom! A 3 minute PB. 

As much as I am actually starting to enjoy cross training and yoga classes, I am still desperate to run. Tomorrow is the next Weston Prom 5 mile race. I am keen to run because firstly, just because I really want to run, secondly, I'm part of a team and I really didn't want to let the team down. John and I disagreed on whether I should run or not...I was tempted to run it slowly to count for the team but not to race it flat out. We decided instead to ask a professional's opinion. 

I booked an appointment to see Jenny my Physio at the Triathlon Shop. While she confirmed what I thought, that my PF was feeling better than it had last week, she advised me to listen to John and not race tomorrow. She knows me well and knows that I'd struggle to be in a race environment and not race! 

She did some massage on my foot and right leg and also did some ultrasound treatment which stimulates cell growth and some people believe can help in repair. Jenny informed me that lots of people debate if it actually works but we agreed that it was worth a try - it can't do any harm! 

I asked Jenny when it would be alright for me to start running again. She asked me when my foot hurt. I explained that it doesn't hurt when I walk or do yoga or cross training. She asked if it hurt when I first stepped out of bed and I told her that it doesn't anymore. She said, based on that information, that it would probably be OK for me to start building some running back in. She advised that I keep rolling with the golf ball and ice bottle and that I only run every other day or every third day. She explained that lots of people find that they can run with PF as long as they've warmed up their foot muscles well before hand. 

I then asked what sort of distances she thought I could do and if it would make my PF any worse if I did speed work. She said that PF is very different in different people so there is no right or wrong answer. But she advised that I try building up to a longer run and try some speed work and see how it feels. I'm keen to get a balance between training but not making my injury any worse. I want to try running again but I am also prepared to rest more if I feel that running is making my foot worse. 

When I got home from physio, John helped me make a recovery training plan for the last 5 weeks of marathon training. It includes lots of cross training and yoga still and runs every few days. It may have to change if my foot gets worse but I feel better having a plan to follow - even if it is very different to the one I intended to follow at the start of the campaign! 

5Miles at 8:20MM pace for me - a recovery run before tomorrows Prom race. I ran out along the Towpath for the first time this year. It's dry and in good shape and it was nice to run under the Clifton Suspension bridge the other side of the river and without any traffic. Back to running solo trying to clear my head after some disagreements the night before with KD on how she is to move on from this injury but more immediately whether she should run Weston Prom or not. I don't think anyone who is injured should race. Physically it makes no sense but on top of that, the psychological battering of not running your best on top of the injury is not a positive step forward... It's been a massive struggle for the GFRG managing and recovering from this PF injury and it's been similarly tough trying to support someone who is almost indestructible and relentlessly positive.

Thursday 22nd March 2018 

While John was out at Prom, I went to the gym. Today I did 4 miles in the cross trainer before going to yoga. As I've still got no pain when walking or cross training, I've decided to try a 3 mile run tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed! 

Well done to KD making the sensible decision to not race and focus on recovery :-)
Prom for me: 5th place in 28:05
A 3mile warm up before hand in less than ideal conditions. A very strong headwind. On the start line and ready to go, a smaller field than usual - getting closer to London this weekend had the Gloucester 20 race, brilliant prep for London but it did mean some runners gave Prom a miss. Whereas last race I ran in a pack of 5+ this time round it was myself and racing rival Ben working together. Last time Ben broke free from the pack and I could barely see him in the last mile. This time round I was running with fresher legs and I made a break away with a mile to go. Success - I won the battle but maybe not the war - I wanted a Sub28 but I took 5 seconds too long. I ran strong and in hindsight had I given my watch/pace greater attention I probably could have got the time I wanted. After 3 weeks of unstructured running in-light of my daemon/left arm/running partner going through her turmoil I was pleased with the result and workout overall. A mile warm down = 10 miles for the day.

Friday 23rd March 2018 

This morning I went for a run! I felt like a caged puppy who had been released! 5k at 8:19mm pace. Really pleased. I had a bit of pain for the first 1/2 mile - it felt like I had a small bruise on my heel. After that, the pain faded and I hardly felt anything at all. Woohoo! Things are looking good! 

5K at 8:19MM pace and running toe-to-toe with KD - Hooray! After a fortnight of not running and lot's of rehab, the GFRG was running - great progress towards getting in shape to run London. So nice to not have to trudge out solo miles and even more so to have KD back doing her favourite thing and with a smile on her face. Legs feeling a little sensitive after racing the night before so I was glad to be running 3miles at recovery effort.

Saturday 24th March 2018 

After a rather heavy night last night, I was pretty pleased that I'd pre-booked yoga and set my alarm. Yoga was good -although I struggled with the balances more than usual ...possibly due to the sambuca! 

Long run day - 20 Miles @ 7:05MM Pace With 2 X 5K @ Marathon Pace
My toughest workout for 2+ weeks. I set out determined to prove to myself that I can still run something resembling a marathon training workout. The first half was pretty straight forward and I even enjoyed the 3 miles at marathon pace on the Portway. In the transition down from marathon pace running from the Portway towards the Bristol to Bath cycle path I was starting to feel tired and regretting not having had any breakfast or even a cup of tea (although this was mainly due to an unusual lie in - not choice.) I struggled my way through the still blowing eastern winds out along the cycle path I turned around dreading the second phase of marathon pace. With wind behind and running slightly downhill - it wasn't actually too bad, the run had taken another turn, for the good. I cam off the cycle path pleased that I'd done what I set out to in regards to running some miles at pace but I was considering cutting my run short and running the shortest line home and stopping at 18 miles. I knew if I did this I'd be annoyed with myself and not feel as comfortable eating as much breakfast as I'd planned to. So I found my small source of grit and got on with it. Plodded the 2 miles to take me up to 20 miles for the day. Absolutely knackered I walked through to door to true beauty... pancakes! Carbs, protein and sugar in a massive lump on a plate - thanks KD!


Sunday 25th March 2018 

After a second heavy night in a row (celebrating my Grandad's 80th Birthday!) we enjoyed a lie in. I wanted to try a slightly longer run today to see how my foot would cope. 



We ran to Nonsuch Park, did a lap of the park and ran home bringing the total to 6 miles. I felt brilliant! It was wonderful to go out with John and run together. I felt liberated! 



I asked John to assess my stride to check that I wasn't over compensating and running differently. He reported that I was running pretty evenly and even said that my stride was looking better than it had in a long time - for once, I am properly rested. I feel full of energy! 

As soon as I got home, I iced my foot and did lots of golf ball rolling for the rest of the day. Hopefully my foot will continue to feel better tomorrow and I can look forward to the Easter Holidays with even more running! 

6 miles @ 8:30MM
A recovery run around the park but not feeling quite as fresh or springy as KD after yesterdays 20 miles. Lovely to be out running together - things are almost back to normal!

A 60 mile week for me - 9 miles for KD. Progress for both of us.
More miles for both of us to come... London doesn't seem as scary this week as it did last week1


No comments:

Post a Comment