Monday 12 December 2016

The beginning...

This is my first blog. I've been wanting to write one for a while after being inspired by reading the blogs of others. It is my hope that people will read this and the journey of inspiration can continue.

As this my first entry, I feel a need to set the scene.

I began running  in 2012 and ran the Bristol 10k in 46:29. I then tried the Bristol half and managed 1:45:22. I trained mostly by myself and ran once or twice a week. I quickly realised that I enjoyed running and wanted to improve. In 2014, I decided to try running with a club. I went to Redland Tennis and Squash club on a Wednesday night in October and my life changed for ever.

Joining Great Western Runners has been one of the best decisions of my life so far. In these past 3 years, my running has improved immensely and I've formed friendships and relationships that I know will stand the test of time.

2014 was a year of progress and PBs and (as is so common with new runners) I felt invincible. In 2015, I crashed and burned. While my training partners were continuing their upward trajectory, I was plagued with injury after injury. Lessons learned- strength training, cross training and physio ssessions are vital!

So we're up to 2016.

The year of the diagnosis

In March 2016, I was diagnosed with Coelic disease. This is an auto immune disease where gluten damages the intestines and stops vital nutrients (like iron) from being absorbed. There is no cure. The only way to manage this disease is through a totally gluten free diet for life.

Since the diagnosis and my starting a totally gluten free diet, my running has gone from strength to strength. I suddenly have more energy; I can run up hills without being awfully out of breath; I can sustain faster paces for longer periods of time; I feel stronger and fitter than ever.

Training for Boston 

Today marks 18 weeks until the Boston Marathon.

I am joining John and Marcus and following the P and D 70-85 miles per week schedule. This is quite a jump in milage for me but I am very much looking forward to the challenge.


No comments:

Post a Comment