Sunday 10 September 2017

Training while on school camp!

Abingdon Marathon Training - 6 weeks to go! 


Monday 4th September 2017 

John and I started the week off with a 5 mile recovery run around Ashton Court. We were up early ready for my first day back at school after the 6 weeks off. In the evening, we attended our usual yoga class to stretch out ready for another week of training. 

Tuesday 5th September 2017 

Today I was taking my Year 6 class on school camp for 4 days. We were up early so I could get a really solid run in as I wasn't sure how much running I'd get done over the next few days - it all depends on how good the kids are! 

We set off at 5:30am feeling surprisingly awake! We took the first couple of miles steady, gradually picking up the pace. As I was feeling good, I suggested that we do a progressive run - with each mile quicker than the last. Here are my mile splits for the first 8 miles -

8:26
8:11
7:57
7:44
7:31
7:20
7:10
6:55 

Really pleased with that - a very successful run. We finished off the 10 miles with 2 miles cool down. 

After a very easy journey, myself, 3 other adults and 31 children arrived at camp. Our first activities were abseiling and the challenge course. After dinner, the kids played a game before going to watch a film. While they were occupied, I popped to the gym and did a 20 minutes treadmill run before bed. 



Wednesday 6th September 2017 

I was up at 5:45am to get an early morning run in before the kids woke up - 30 mins and 3 miles done. 

Today's activities were vertical challenge, raft building, the giant swing and areoball. Lots of cross training for me today! In the evening we had a campfire and while the kids watched some more of a film, I managed to get another 20min treadmill run in. 



Thursday 7th September 2017 

Another early morning start for me and another quick 20mins on the treadmill. 

Today we had climbing, archery, zip wire and canoeing. In the evening, the kids had a disco and I managed to squeeze in my last treadmill run of the week - starting to get a bit fed up with them now! 



Friday 8th September 2017 

No running today. After a jam packed week full of activities and being responsible for 31 children, I was feeling pretty shattered so decided to give my legs some time to recover. 

We had the trapeze and tunnel trail in the morning and then, after lunch, it was time to head back to school. In the evening, I was very much looking forward to relaxing with John (who I'd missed loads!).



Saturday 9th September 2017 

After a pretty exhausting week, we didn't manage to make it up in time for parkrun. Instead we had a lie in and then went out for a run around Leigh Woods. So nice to be running outside after a week of treadmill workouts. 10 miles flew by as John and I chatted away - great to be home. 

We were out in the evening to celebrate Ian's Birthday. For once we were pretty controlled with our drinking - I only had 2 glasses of wine to (hopefully) enable me to be in good shape for my long run tomorrow. 


Sunday 10th September 2017 

After watching the Great North Run on TV, we were feeling inspired to get out and continue our training. I needed 22.4 miles to get me up to a nice round 60 miles for the week so the plan was to do a stead run at around 7:30 - 8 mm pace. We went along the river Avon trail which is brilliant because it's flat but it was rather muddy today which slowed us down a tad. I also got covered into stingy nettles - ouch! We then joined up with part of the Green Man route before reaching the Bristol to Bath cycle path. I finished off with a lap of the Harbourside making it exactly 22.4 miles in exactly 3 hours and 1 second - an average pace of 8:02mm. Despite taking a gel with me, I didn't feel the need for it. My body was craving water instead - luckily I took some with me. I'm starting to think that I won't actually use gels for the marathon and simply drink water. It will stop me having to worry about it upsetting my stomach, I won't have to bother carrying them and I feel like it's healthier as well. 
A solid run that felt good - my furthest run of this campaign so far. 

Total miles for the week - 60 exactly! 

No comments:

Post a Comment