Saturday 21 April 2018

London Marathon Eve!

London Marathon Training - 1 day to go! 

Key Both of us - blue Kelly - Purple John - Orange 



With just a matter of hours to go until we run the London Marathon, we are both getting rather excited! Here's how our week of tapering went...

Monday 16th April 2018 

We were up early for the start of our last week of marathon training. PT with Jules. 

Our session looked like this:

First, 5 of each exercises below, then 10, then 15, then 20. 

Star jumps
Press ups
Squat jumps
Crunches
Split lunge jumps 
One arm rotations
One leg mat hops
Dead bugs 
Medicine ball clean and press
Down and ups 

Followed by core work and lots of fun on the balance ball.

A relatively light session which left me feeling strong but not achy. Really enjoying these workouts and I'm sure they're having a really positive impact on my training. 

As KD said - a very easy session which was perfect marathon prep. We had plans for the evening so I ran to PT: 3Miles @ 9:33MM pace - very steady and got a lift home.

Tuesday 17th April 2018 

Today is the first day for a while where I did no exercise at all! It was one of those days that are familiar to teachers - I started work at 7:30 am and got home at 10pm after a brilliant but exhausting day taking kids to the North Somerset Dance Festival. 

Marathon dress rehearsal for me. Wearing full marathon kit: race day shorts, vest, hat, sunglasses, gels etc I ran a steady 1 mile warm up before running 2 miles on the Portway at pace: 6:35minutes per mile. The sun was out but not high, temps were about 10/12degrees so not quite what it's gonna be tomorrow but as close to it as it's been all year. As expected and as one would hope, the short period at pace felt easy, even enjoyable. Always reassuring on race week. Finished off with a 400mtr warm down jog and a steady walk home. Washed kit and put aside ready for the weekend.


Wednesday 18th April 2018 

Our final club run with GWR before London. We had a HUGE group running the summer 6 mile route tonight. It was lovely to run the summer route for the first time this year. Over the suspension bridge and into Ashton Court. I tried out my marathon shoes and socks - oh do they feel good! There's nothing quite like the feeling of new bouncy shoes. 

Maranoia  - (Thanks Gia!)kicked in a little today as I started to feel lots of little aches, pains and twinges in my legs...not sure if they are real of a figment of my taper-addled-imagination...

6 miles at 8:25mm average pace. 

6 miles @8:19MM running out and back to Ashton Court, across the Clifton Suspension Bridge. Lush to get out on the club summer routes and run in a shirt and without gloves.


Thursday 19th April 2018 

No running for me again today. We have been focusing on getting lots of sleep each night this week. We've also been eating well. Pasta bake today - it's important not to leave carbo loading until just the day before - we've tried to include lots of carbohydrates in our meals all week...hopefully without putting too much weight on. 

In the evening, we had simultaneous sports massages. I went to Comfort Health in Clifton to see Jenny my physio for my last sports massage before London. Jenny has been really key in my progress during this marathon campaign and I am really grateful to her for the support she's given me. After 30 minutes, Jenny commented on how good my legs are feeling and how my foot is also feeling much smoother - less like massaging bubble wrap! Hooray! 

I am well aware that the marathon might cause more foot problems so I have booked in another massage for Tuesday evening in anticipation! 

A morning run for me before work; 3.2Miles @ 9:17MM pace - running as slow and steady as possible. Sports massage with Ben focusing on some minor calf and achilles niggles. Ben did a cracking job of helping alleviate the pain I was getting in my lower back a couple of months ago and I left with my legs feeling fresh and raring to go.


Friday 20th April 2018 
I was suuuupppper excited when I woke up as today was the day that we were going to the expo! 

I had to pop into school for a bit in the morning but I'd arranged to take the afternoon off so we could travel up to London and go to the expo today. 

We are all very excited! 


We left Bristol at 2pm and caught the train from Bristol to Paddington. After a slight delay, we arrived at 3:53pm. Next we jumped on the tube and met up with my Dad who was keen to come along to the expo with us. After a rather bumpy ride on the DLR, we arrived at the Excel center and found the expo entrance. 

With our numbers!


I love race expos and instantly started shopping for London Marathon clothing! We then wandered around the other stalls, eating freebies and trying all manner of running paraphernalia. Having been to  the expos in Boston and Berlin, I have to say that London wasn't quite as good and considerably smaller. Going on Friday afternoon was a really good shout however, as it was pretty quiet. We didn't have to queue for anything. 

On our way home we went via the cable car. It was only £2.50 as we'd been to the expo and I really enjoyed the experience. Fantastic views across London and nice to sit down after lots of walking! 


A long day... Up early to get my run in before work: 3.2Mi @ 9:20MM - legs feeling the benefits of running slow all week and last nights sports massage. A morning at work inevitably working harder than usual when just wanting a morning of taking it easy and skiving - nosuchluck. Back home, more carbs and one the train to London. KD talks through the day nicely. At the Expo I picked up a pair of branded shorts and a cotton t-shirt to add to my wardobe of day-to-day attire, 3 tshirts now! Good to get the Expo done and numbers collected meaning we can spend tomorrow chilling out/panicking!

Saturday 21st April 2018 
Today we went to Busy Park to the home of parkrun. It was a beautiful day and amazing to see that over 1400 people had turned up to run! Nat was going for a PB so we all decided to run with her and help pace her. It was great all running together. Nat ran strong and did indeed get a new PB. 

The GWR crew reunited at Bushy Park!

There are about 20 photos like this on my phone...my Dad trying to work out how to use the camera to take pics of us running!


The final sprint for the finish!
We've spend the rest of the day eating, resting, eating, putting our feet up, eating some more...oh and I've painted my nails GWR blue ...a vital part of my marathon preparation! 


Elevating your feet is very important! 

Body scanning meditation...we'll try anything...

GWR blue! (My toes match but no one wants to see a pic of my feet!)




A lush day of taking it easy. A day of parkrun followed by carbs/water/rest - repeat. 

Race day plans, hopes, dreams and tactics 

I'm not really sure what to expect tomorrow. I feel physically strong and healthy but I haven't done as much training as I'd have liked. My foot hasn't been causing me too much trouble but I honestly don't know how it will hold up tomorrow over 26.2 miles. 

I would really still love to meet my target and get a sub 3. I genuinely think that, had my training gone to plan, I'd be in with a great shot at it. I'm honestly not sure if it is possible for me tomorrow or not. 

I am on the Championship start and really looking forward to the experience. One thing's for sure - I'm going to make the most of it and try to enjoy it. 

My plan is to go out at sub 3 pace (6:45mm) and see how it feels. I can really clearly remember how I felt at Abingdon when I ran my 3:03 in October. If the first few miles feels similar, then I'm going to go for it. All out - dig deep and see how long I can hold on for. See if I can grind out a sub 3. If I really don't think I can maintain that pace, I'll slow it down and hope for maybe a PB or at least a New York qualifying time (yes - New York 2019 is on the cards!) of 3 hours 13 minutes. 

I'm prepared for it to be hard work - I'm prepared for it to hurt - Bring it on! 

Similar to KD and probably every previous training plan, I do feel I could have: trained ore, trained hard, eaten better, drank less, slept more... etc blah moan etc

Target really is dependant on the weather but generally look like this:

A = 2:53 = 6:35MM Pace
B = PB/<2:58 = 6:45MM Pace
C = Really hot/ginger/bad day = Finish and enjoy the experience of running my first London

KD is optimistic and positive as always. If anyone can defy the hottest day of the year, plantar fasciitis, 6 weeks of disjointed training and still hit their A goal - it's Kelly. I know she's sensible enough that if things aren't going well she'll reign it in and enjoy the day (as she did at her first marathon in Brighton 2015.) Best of luck to you and whatever happens I'll be proud always!

Best of luck to everyone running!

No comments:

Post a Comment