Monday 29 January 2018

Running on holiday and a running dilemma!

London Marathon training 11 weeks to go!

Key - Purple - Kelly John - orange Blue both of us 


Monday 22nd January 2017 

Woke up today feeling ready to start the plan again...went out with the aim of running 6 miles...got 1 mile out and was coughing loads and couldn't breath. Decided to stop and head home. Try again tomorrow. 

A lonely 7 miles recovery for me where the legs were being kind to me after a weekend of racing.


Tuesday 23rd January 2017

I opted for a lie in today in the hope that it would give my lungs some time to recover! At lunchtime we had our first Teachers Running Club! A lovely 2 miles without any children for a change! 

In the evening, John had a sports massage booked so I ran there with him and then planned to do another 5 or so...once again I was coughing still so decided to cut it short at 3.5 miles. Unfortunately, I had timed my run perfectly with the 1000s of Bristol City fans who were walking to the City-Man city game. While I wide selection of choice phrases were shouted at me I did start to regret not having longer shorts!!!! 

Sports massage in the evening meant for 10 miles in the morning. Going out at 5ish did mean the usual 20 mins or so before the run felt like it got going but otherwise I was running well and enjoying it and seemed to have avoided any post race DOMS - result. 

Wednesday 24th January 2017

Today I ran in the evening and John joined me for the first 2 miles. I was keen to try and get some speed joining today as I was feeling better. Managed an average pace of 7:51 with a few miles at 7:30. Defiantly feeling better now. 

More sleep lost with another early rise, the intention was to give my body the best rest/prep before Thursday night's Prom Race. Although this did mean missing running club in the evening, it did mean I felt good all day having banked 13 miles early doors and ate loads throughout the day with a smile on my face - 30 miles on the clock for the week so far. In hindsight the run was a little hillier than ideal for the day before a race (1000ft of elevation) but I was running steady and before today I'd done all of my running on the Portway and was glad of a change of scenery. 

Thursday 25th January 2017

After thinking I was better, last night I woke up multiple times coughing. Clearly running fast yesterday didn't help. I had a meeting in the evening so I couldn't race at Prom - luckily my amazing team did a brilliant job. Decided to take today off. 

Weston Prom Race -  After days of feeling fresh, running sensible and being relatively rested meant for great confidence., race #3 of 30 for the year so far, I set off from the start line wanting a good result. Splits were: 5:33, 5:40, 5:46, 5:33 & 5:35, an official position and time of 11th with 28:03 (Frustrating close to a Sub28!!). A good time and a top10 best at the event for me but I left the race feeling a little deflated. After 6 weeks of strong marathon training and a couple of days of sensible running and relative tapering I really wanted a PB. Conditions were conducive, good temp and very still but I just couldn't quite get the legs spinning. Even after 3 miles warming up I didn't quite have the looseness/supple race legs to run the pace I wanted. This could be down to a number of factors: racing twice the previous weekend, coming down with some of the GFRG's poorliness, a lack of shorter race distance specific speed work etc or could just have been a bad day. Marathon training wise it was good to bank 5 miles of lactate threshold running and if I were able to have a conversation with past John of a couple of years a go and offer a 28minute prom time I'd of taken it without a second though - take the positives and move on.

Friday 26th January 2017

Today was suuuper exciting. We were going away for John's 30th Birthday this weekend. I had actually managed to keep it a surprise so I was desperate to tell him where we were going...Switzerland! 
Once I'd shown him all the flight and hotel details, we only had time for a quick 3 miles. I then went home and got packing! 

After school, John picked me up, we drove to the airport and were off to Geneva! 

A very exciting morning, waking up to find out we were off to Switzerland in the evening! Geneva has always been on the bucket list so I was well chuffed to find out I was being treated to a weekend break for my birthday - the GFRG did good. 5 miles recovery for me - feeling very tired after the week of running and being up early most days and Prom just hours before!



Saturday 27th January 2017

After a wonderful sleep in our executive hotel room, we were eager to get up and go out for a run to explore Geneva. We ran around the lake and through some parks. It was DEAD flat and the pavements were huge; running paradise. 

Back to the hotel for a luxurious bath before heading out to explore the old town. 

An hour worth of running early doors to get our bearings of the local area. Running around Lake Geneva with the GFRG made for beautiful views and making lots of happy memories. 



Sunday 28th January 2017

Once again we were up in good time and looking forward to seeing more sights. John had found out about a huge chair sculpture so we started our run by going to visit it. We were delighted to find that the sculpture was also right next to the UN HQ. It was an impressive building with lots of flags outside. 

Next, we ran back towards the lake and through some gardens. After a While, the route became a bit boring as the path followed a residential area (with massive houses with huge gates with massive scary barking dogs outside!) Rather than continuing alongside the lake. We turned around and wen'y back the other way with a much nicer view. 13 miles in total. My longest run for two weeks. Still some coughing but much better than last week. 




Sunday's run was lush. Running further and enjoying more of the lakeside views powered on last nights celebratory curry and beers was gurt lush! I was feeling very lucky and spoiled rotten to be able to run in such a stunning location with my best friend who is not only an awesome runner but also the kindest and most caring person I know - thanks for an awesome weekend, love you! Gushing over and done with - 13 miles banked at the lower end of general aerobic pace (8:10MMs -ish.) The run felt tough, laboured and a bit slow - I have properly come down with the GFRG-coldy-disease and probably should have stayed in bed but the occasion, location and marathon training meant for a struggle but miles banked none the less - 70 miles for the week!

We spent the rest of the day in Lausanne and went to the Olympic museum! Hopefully we'll go back in the future to see statues of us! 



Faster, higher, stronger


Always the winner!

Emil Zatopek and the GBRM!

So... I am in need of someone advice. 
I had been asked to represent Avon again at the inter-counties cross country in Loughborough. I am delighted to have been selected but unsure of whether to do it or not. Here's my reasoning: 

Pros: 
  • I was desperate to be selected for the county and am delighted to have been asked. 
  • I don't want to say no and then never be asked again. 
  • It is a huge event and would be great experience. 
  • I don't want to let the team down by not attending. 
  • I really want to get better at cross country and this would be another great opportunity to improve. 
Cons:
  • I have ran for Avon already and was a bit disappointed by the organisation of team Avon. 
  • It will be just 6 weeks away from the London Marathon which I should be focusing on (not cross country!) 
  • It's the same day as the fission 20mile race which would give me great marathon race prep (and I've got a good chance of winning the race!). 
  • Loughborough is really far away and a lot of effort for a 30min race! 
Please comment with your ideas/suggestions. 

The GFRG is getting back to being fit and healthy and I'm tacking along nicely pretending not to be coming down with the coldy-disease! Plan was/is to up the miles a little bit before going properly into the more intensive, higher mileage training phase with 10 weeks to go. See how my body deals with being poorly, If I need to I'll take some rest and make sure I'm fit before properly upping the miles. We're planning our first 20miler on Sunday - looking forward to testing the body to see the results of 6 weeks of 50+ miles per week training and lots of positive running. 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly,
    Hope you get better soon! I definitely wouldn't do a 20 miler that close to the goal marathon race, it just takes too much out of your legs. Equally, you are risking injury running cross country close to the marathon too. While it would be nice you have run for Avon before and it isn't your focus this year. If I were you I would just tick off the marathon training, smash your time goal and then see about a new cross country challenge :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. A complete no brainer if you ask me. Fission 20 sits the perfect distance out from London plus you get the chance to race our Bitton legend Lynette :) You will definitely get the chance to represent them again but your main focus is London.

    ReplyDelete