Monday 1 January 2018

Top 2017 Gluten Free Food, Top 2017 Gluten Free running and 2018 Targets!

Happy New Year! 


I have had a wonderful, successful and very very enjoyable 2017. It has been mine and John's first full year as a couple and (even if I do say so myself) what a fantastic team we make. While we were both good runners before, I think that this year we have worked together to both become fitter, stronger and faster than ever. I owe a lot to John and I love him very much. 


Top 2017 Gluten Free Food 

I thought I should add this section as my blogs have been mostly running related recently and haven't included as much about eating gluten free as they possibly should have - not to self to improve on this in the new year. 

So, these are, in my opinion, the top 10 restaurants to eat in if you are Coeliac. Some are chains and some are based near where I live, in Bristol. All of these have clearly marked Gluten free options or a dedicated gluten free menu. Do comment if you have other suggestions to add. 

1) Salt and malt  -in Cargo 2 at Wapping Wharf -This is THE best fish and chip restaurant in Bristol. ALL the fish and chips are gluten free and are fantastic. 

2) Tare  - also in Cargo 2 at Wapping Wharf- For a treat. This restaurant only serves 5 course set menu. We went twice this year and they were able to produce the most amazing gluten free dishes. Well worth a visit if you live in Bristol.  

3) Loch Fyne - Another good one for a treat. They have a HUGE gluten free menu and couldn't have been more helpful. 

4) Las Iguanas - We've eaten here quite a lot this year because as well as a brilliant gluten free menu, they also have loads of veggie options. All delicious. 

5) Pizza Express - Reasonably priced, always good food and again lots of gluten free options - including dough balls! 

6) All of the 'lounge' chains - I've eaten in lots of these this year and eat one had a brilliant gluten free, veggie and vegan menu. 

7) Hubbox  - This is a relatively new restaurant on White ladies Road in Clifton. Again, lots of good options. 

8) Bills - Another good  chain. The best thing on their menu is the pudding the chocolate bombe -it's amazing! 

9) Wahacca  - just yum! 

10)  Redland Tandoori - This Indian is located handily close to our running club and is the favourite hangout of Marcus and Nat. They have just re-printed all of their menus and have clearly marked all gluten free options - brilliant! 


Top 2017 Running Achievements 

Looking back at the targets that I set myself for 2017, I haven't done too badly - clearly I'm ambitious in my target setting. 

I've been more successful in the longer distances (half marathon and marathon) but met my bronze targets in 5k, prom and 10k. One target I didn't achieve is a sub 19:45 at Ashton Court parkrun. My PB there is still 19:50 - must work harder on that this year. 

I am however, delighted that I've PB'd in every distance this year from 2 miles to the marathon. 
Currently, my PBs look like this: 

2mile - 12:26
5k - 18:50
parkrun - 18:44
10k - 38:04
10 mile - 67:22
Half Marathon - 85:31
20 mile - 2:19:21
Marathon - 3:03:46 

I've added nicely to my growing trophy collection and have loved racing this year. 






2018 Running Targets 

I've been selected to represent Avon (my first call up!) in some cross country races this year - should be an exciting challenge! 


5k - sub 18:30 initially and then ideally sub 18...but I'm not so good at the fast stuff! That is depending on the new Aztec West series starting...fingers crossed. 

parkrun - I'm desperate to improve my Ashton court PB to sub 19:30. Then I'd like to get sub 18:30 on a flat parkrun course. 

10k - I'd really like to get sub 37 which would qualify me for an 'Elite' entry to lots of local races like the Bristol half - I'd love to have my name rather than a number pinned to my GWR vest...DICKS in huge letters - brilliant! 
 
Half Marathon - I'm going to aim high and hope that I can get a sub 83 at the Bath or Bristol half this year.  I would also really like a top 10 finish at one of these races. 
I'm also going to try and better my 2017 3rd place finish at the Severn Bridge half. 

Marathon - This is my main target distance and to be honest, if I can achieve my marathon goals, no other distances will matter. I believe that the marathon is the distance where I am the best at and the distance where I stand the best chance of making it. 

Firstly, running my first sub 3 hour marathon in London in April. 

I have also signed up for the Snowdonia Marathon in October which brings a new challenge as it will be VERY hilly. This isn't a PB course but the plan is that training for it will make me stronger and possibly bring with it a new love for hills...hmmm....not sure about that...


So, overall, a brilliant 2017. 

I have ran on of 343 days this year

 - 2,647 miles in total 

- 378 hours of running! I really like running!










No comments:

Post a Comment