Sunday 15 October 2017

It's taper time!

1 week until the Abingdon Marathon!


Monday 9th October 2017

It's time to start tapering - slowing down, reducing the miles and trying not to put on too much weight! 

After a gentle 15 miles yesterday, I woke to the unusual feeling of my legs not aching on a Monday morning. It made for a rather pleasant 5 mile recovery run around the Harbourside with John.  

In the evening, we did our usual yoga class. I found that I could actually hold the positions without my whole body shaking! Starting to enjoy the taper! 

Tuesday 10th October 2017

Up at 5am today for our - now regular - early morning PT session. We ran there and back as well so got 3 miles in. 

The session today went like this: 

Crunches
Foot jumps
Reach to feet
Plank pup arms
Supine lowers
Pup arm rotations.          5 x 20

Sq thrust over mat
Sq jumps
Mat end hops
Split lunge jumps
Press ups
Down n ups.  ( X10).        5 x 20

Elk crunches.....x20
Mat side single leg hops.....x20
Plank hold for 30-45-60 seconds

Row 1 min........sq jumps 6kg dbs.    X3 each

Wednesday 11th October 2017

We had a lie in this morning so were both looking forward to running to club for our last mid week medium long run before Abingdon. We ran to and from club making a solid 12 miles at a good average pace of 8:23. Legs feeling really good at the moment. 


Thursday 12th October 2017

Due to me having a committee meeting in the evening, we were up early today to get 5 miles in. We ran around Ashton Court nice and slowly- 9:35 average pace. 

After a really long day at school - 14 hours! It was wonderful to come home to John's home made gluten free risotto - delicious! 


Friday 13th October 2017

With a cross country race in the calendar for tomorrow, it meant that today was another recovery run. Just 3 miles in the morning before school. 

Then at lunchtime, I had 43 children, 3 teachers, 2 parents and Jim Gump join me for running club. Jim was visiting school and gave a talk about his experiences running around America. Since he visited 2 years ago, the children have been following his journey and many of them have been inspired to start running. 

Saturday 14th October 2017

Today was the first cross country race of the season and I was feeling very excited! We left the running club at 11:45 and made the journey across the bridge to Cardiff. We had our highest GWR team turnout for a number of years and it made for a brilliant atmosphere. 

My main aim for this race was not to get injured just a week before Abingdon! 
As well as the Gwent League, this race was also the Welsh Cross Challenge which meant that there was a very competitive field. 

Standing on the start line alongside Jess Judd  was pretty exciting. But looking around and then seeing a number of other women I knew as being local elites was worrying. Last season, my best Gwent league cross country position was 15th so (before I saw the starting line up) I was kinda hoping for a top 20 position. Now, looking around, I knew that would not be the case. Never mind, I thought. I'll just do what I can. 

The gun sounded and, unusually for me, I hesitated and the excellent position I'd got myself in on the line quickly disappeared as I found myself surrounded by loads of women much slower than me. Cursing my slow reactions, I dropped back, slipped out to the far side and then put on a spurt to overtake a good chunk of the field - note to self - go on the gun next time! 

The first half a mile or so was pretty speedy but, just as I got into a good rhythm, we came to a short sharp hill. I slowed a lot going up it but them managed to pick my speed up and overtake a few women on the downhill. Mile 1 done in 6:24 not too bad considering it's the first mile of the season. I was hoping to average closer to 6:15 mm pace so I worked on picking up the pace. I looked ahead and saw an elite who has won the Bristol half or 10k in the past...she looked like she was slowing so I fixed my gaze on her and worked to overtake. I managed to catch and overtake her - yes! Feeling good now, Mile 2 passed in 6:12 - much happier with that pace. 



The third mile incorporated the second lap of the course and included the hilly section again. Annoyingly, the hill combined with the effort of overtaking really sapped my energy. Despite working hard on the downhill to make up time, mile 3 went by in 6:57 - much slower than I was hoping for. With just half a mile left, I managed to pick the pace up again 6:28mm through to the finish. 

The results are still not up so I'm not sure about my position but I was pretty pleased to have beaten a few local rivals. 

Once I'd finished, I found a good spot near the finish to cheer on the other GWR ladies - it was brilliant to have so many!



Next it was the turn of the men - always enjoyable spectating! Me, Cat and the other GWR crew raced around the course trying to see everyone at as many different places as possible. I especially enjoyed being able to watch John run as usually, he's finished way before me! 



Sunday 15th October 2017

Woke up this morning with very achy ankles...oh dear...clearly the cross country had taken its toll. I did a few stretches but both my legs hurt and my left ankle actually hurt when I put my foot down. Oh no - I really hope I haven't ruined my marathon chances for a cross country race...

John and I set off for a gentle 13 miles. The first mile was pretty painful and, I have to say, I was rather worried. However, my ankle loosened up and running didn't feel too painful. I think I'd forgotten just how much racing in spikes effects my feet and legs when I'm not used to it. 

3 miles in and I wasn't feeling too bad - hopefully a couple of days easy running and all aches and pains will have gone. Then up ahead, John and I spotted a large group of runners - as we got closer we realised that it was the GWR Sunday morning crew. We caught up with them and decided to tag along for a few miles. The atmosphere was buzzing with marathon excitement as the group was full or pre and post marathoners discussing times, strategies and supporting. 

A very enjoyable 14 miles done today at 8:58mm  pace - just what I needed. 


Total miles for the week = 47.6


Just 1 week to go! Eeeekk!!


No comments:

Post a Comment