Sunday 8 October 2017

Not long now! Two weeks until the Abingdon Marathon!

Two weeks to go until the Abingdon Marathon 


Monday 2nd October 2017 

I begun this week feeling really positive after a great long run the day before. I am at a point where I am confident that I'll get a PB. All the main training is done now. Just these last couple of weeks of keeping the mileage going and trying not to catch any illnesses from the germ filled beings I work with (children!). 

John and I started this week, as usual, with a recovery run. Today was VERY slow - 10:27 average pace! My legs were screaming. I definitely worked hard yesterday!  In the evening, we went to yoga but didn't run again - rest needed. 

Tuesday  3rd October 2017 

After a successful early morning training session last week, we thought we'd book PT in for early this week as well. It is always hard work getting up at 5am but it's worth it. 

Running up to Clifton in the dark at 5:30am is hard work...especially as my calves were still rock solid. Today's session involved lots of jumping using benches. Lots of squats with increasing weights each time. Lots of ab work and lots of other things that I can't remember! 

I didn't really want to run again in the evening, but I had a ADMF (Arthur Dagger Memorial Fund - a charity, created by Great Western Runners in the memory of a member who passed away, which gives donations to young, talented athletes) meeting. Normally I'd drive there, but the traffic was horrific and, due to the M5 being closed, Bristol's roads were at a stand still. So I decided to run to the meeting. An extra 4.7 miles done for the day. 


Wednesday 4th October 2017 

We had a lie in this morning - still trying to let the legs recover. In the evening, we ran to Redland for our GWR club night. It was lovely to join our friends for the winter 10 mile route today. It feels like ages since we've ran with the club - busy social life! 

By the time we'd ran there and back that made 12 for the day at an average pace of 8:35 - not too shabby. 


Thursday 5th October 2017 

Today should have been an 8 mile GA run...but I just really didn't feel like it. I don't often get days where I don't want to run but today was one of them! I managed 3 miles in the morning. Then tried again in the evening and once again just did a measly 3 miles. I think I'm just fed up with my legs still aching and running being painful. 


Friday 6th October 2017 

Another recovery today and good news - legs starting to return to normal. Hooray! Again, should have been about 8 miles...again though... we opted to call the run short at 3 miles and go back to bed with a cup of tea. Luckily, all the hard work is done. In the past we've done a 3 week taper so cutting the miles short now (hopefully) won't matter. 

At lunchtime I had running club - 38 kids, 3 teachers and a parent this week. Still taking it very slow as there are a significant number of new runners. Lots of stopping and starting to regroup regularly -but the kids enjoy it all the same. 

In the evening, we drove down to London to stay with my family. 

Saturday 7th October 2017 

Today was super exciting! It was parkrun's 13th birthday! As we were in London anyway, we decided to make the runners pilgrimage to the home of parkrun - Busy Park. 

We had checked the times from previous weeks (naturally) so I knew I had a shot at a top 3 position. We arrived in plenty of time to warm up and use the toilets. As it was a special event, there were prizes given out and then the race director asked for everyone wearing an apricot parkrun top to get in a group photo - luckily, we were representing Ashton Court in orange so I made sure we were at the front! 




After the photo, we got ready to start. John made sure we had a spot right at the front. With 1500 parkrunners, we wanted to get away sharply!

As soon as I started running, I knew today would be a good race ...opps sorry...run. I was eager to get a good position and also keen to get sub 19 so I wanted to aim for 6mm. John had decided to run with me and it was lovely to have company. Despite going off quickly, we spent the whole run overtaking people men - always a good feeling! The first mile went by in 6:05. I felt comfortable and in control. Then I spotted two girls not too far ahead of me. I couldn't see any more ahead - so I hoped that I was currently in 3rd position. In mile 2, I managed to catch up to and overtake one of the girls with a 6:02mm - getting quicker! This is very unlike me - I hardly ever manage to negative split. 



The best thing that comes from marathon training is that 3 miles seems super short. 2 miles had gone and I felt like I hadn't even started. Not quite believing that I was nearly at the end, I focused on trying to catch the other lady in my sight. Closer and closer I got but, in the end, I ran out of road. With only a quarter of  mile to go, she looked round and, despite my trying to run quietly and stealthily, she spotted me and picked up her pace. I ran the last mile in 6:00mm (negative split woohoo!) but couldn't quite catch her - she finished just 5 seconds ahead. 

Annoyingly, the first lady got given a prize of a mini bottle of prosseco! The lady giving out the prizes my have seen the utter horror on my face and, feeling sorry for me, chucked a bag of Maltesers my way! I can't actually eat then because they contain gluten...but I appreciated the thought and I've never work a parkrun prize before! 



31st overall, 2nd lady, at the home of parkrun, on the 13th birthday with a time of 18:57 - please with that! 

In the evening, we had a family party. Lots of dancing and lots of drinking. Most importantly, I managed to wear heels, dance to Saturday Night, the Macarena, YMCA and not twist my ankle - phew!


Sunday 8th October 2017 

Despite a few cheeky drinks last night, we weren't feeling too bad as we dragged ourselves out of bed at 9:30 for our last long run of the campaign. We decided to run to Richmond Park, do a loop and then run back to my parents' house. 

It was a beautiful sunny day, John and I both felt great and chatted merrily for 15 easy miles around the stunning park. 

We recovered well today with a full English breakfast cooked by my mum. Before heading back to Bristol for a roast dinner cooked by John's mum - yum! 

While reading Athletics weekly on the way home, I noticed that Birmingham will, most likely, host the 2022 commonwealth games ...that got me thinking...5 years to get my marathon time down to
 2 hours 30 mins... if I run 2 marathons a year and knock off about 5 mins at each marathon...its not going to be easy but is a very tempting longer term goal...


Total mileage for the week = 52.6 


Not long left now! It's a great feeling knowing that all the hard work is done. Just got to not catch any illnesses and not twist my ankle at the first cross country race of the season next weekend. 

As with previous campaigns, I'm really going to start thinking about what I put into my body over the next two weeks. No more alcohol, healthier eating and more sleep should ensure that I come to race day the fittest and strongest I've ever been! 









No comments:

Post a Comment