Saturday 21 October 2017

Marathon Eve!

18 weeks of training done - only a few hours until the Abingdon Marathon!

Here's how my last week of training has gone...

Monday 16th October 2017 

I started to panic today. Stepped out of bed and -ouch! My left ankle really hurt. I kept telling myself that it wasn't anything major and just my body getting used to cross country which puts a lot more stress on the feet and ankles. I decided a gentle 3 mile recovery run might help. Unfortunately, all it did was give me 30 minutes of focusing on every tiny ache and twinge. My ankle was hurting on both sides, my calves were tight, the underside of both feet were all painful...I have 6 days to recover ...fingers crossed...

3 miles at 10:07 mm pace -oh dear! 

Tuesday 17th October 2017 

I woke up and nervously stepped out of bed...balls. My ankle still hurt. Another 3 miles but actually I could notice an improvement on yesterday. 

3 miles at 9:19 pace - slightly better! 

The other problem is...John has a cold. I'm desperate for him to recover -partly because I don't want him to give it to me- but also because he's trained so hard and really deserves an amazing time. I ran the Bristol 10k this year with a cold and it's incredibly hard. I felt sapped of energy and struggled to get into my usual rhythm of breathing. I really hope he can recover in time. 

Wednesday 18th October 2017 

Today John and I had planned to do a 'dress rehearsal' where we run a couple of miles at marathon pace to check we can still do it! I  got home feeling shattered after parents' evening last night. It was cold and dark and I really didn't feel like running. Nevertheless, out the door we stepped. I cheered up a bit when I started running as my ankle was definitely feeling better. I did 2 miles to warm up (7:27 and 7:53mm pace) and then 2 miles at around marathon pace (6:53 and 6:59). The pace itself felt pretty straightforward - my legs still felt a bit achy from cross country but not too bad. John and I reunited and did the last two miles together nice and steadily (8:23 and 8:23). 

6 miles at 7:40mm average pace - on the up! 

Thursday 19th October 2017 

With John's cold continuing, he decided not to run today and so I headed out alone early in the morning. With round 2 of parents evening tonight, I knew I had to get the run done. It was really very lonely running alone when you are so used to having company. It also gave more opportunities for maranoia (pre -marathon paranoia!) to set in. I now have pains in my knee and hamstring...I think they might be in my head...

3 miles again - 9:07mm pace


Friday 20th October 2017 

Running solo again this morning and more funny aches and pains springing up all over - trying to ignore them! It was rather windy today - I hope this is a short storm and not one that will continue into the weekend...

I have also developed a sore throat. This is often the first symptom before I get a cold. However it could also be due to overusing my voice with parents evenings and lots of talking. 

3 miles 8:55 pace.

Last day of term - woohoo! 

After school I visited Jenny at the Triathlon shop in Bristol for my pre-race massage. Every place she put pressure on seemed to hurt...maranoia again...let's hope so! 

Saturday 21st October 2017 - Marathon Eve! 

After a very busy working week, it was lovely to have an early night and a lie in. Frustratingly, I have woken up with a very painful throat. On the plus side, I don't feel like I have a cold...my nose isn't running so hopefully my body can hang on one more day! 

I headed out alone for my last 3 miles before the marathon. I stepped outside and started to run and ...I couldn't quite believe it! My legs felt amazing! No aches, no pains, my ankle feels fine. Running is great! I'm overcome with emotion and my legs get a bit carried away and I cover the first mile of my recovery run in 8:16mm... ooops - I can hear John's voice telling me to slow down but I can't. I bounding along (think Tigger!) with a huge smile on my face - saying a cheery 'Good morning!' to all my fellow runners. Then, to my delight, a couple, in parkrun T-shirts, wave back and say 'Good luck for tomorrow!' I have to say, I felt like a celebrity - it really made my morning! 

3 miles in 8:35mm pace - I am recovered and ready to go! 

We had breakfast and packed our bags. We were off to Abingdon! We're staying in a lovely airbnb place about 3 miles from the start. It's a studio apartment above the (very rich) owner's garage - their (enormous) house (and swimming pool) is just next door. We popped into the center of Abingdon to see my parents who are staying nearby and coming to support tomorrow. Now we are back at base with our feet up looking forward to an evening of eating, relaxing and trying not to get too nervous. 

So how am I feeling? 
Pretty good to be honest. I am very pleased with how my training has gone. Despite not sticking rigidly to a plan, I feel like I have prepared well.
The stats: 
18 weeks 
941 miles run
An average of 52 miles a week
5 runs of over 20 miles 
1 week of running 70 miles. 

I have also added regular physio, PT, yoga, spin and weight training into this training block and I feel the strongest and fittest I've ever been. 

My plan for tomorrow? 

Despite a little temptation to go for sub 3, I honestly don't think I am quite there yet. I feel it's a bit like when I was pushing and pushing for sub 90 at the Bristol half last year. Although I really wanted it, I just hadn't built up enough of a base and wasn't ready. The conclusion a very difficult race and working incredibly hard to get - 1:30:01. A lot of extra stress, upset and frustration. Fast forward 1 year in time, to the Bath half, where breezed a 1:26:31 in one of the easiest, most enjoyable races I've ever ran. I think I just needed more time, an additional training block and more strength training. 

I feel like I am in a similar situation now. I think I probably could beast myself, go all out and get close to the magical 3 hour mark. But it would be seriously, seriously painful - I wouldn't enjoy it and would probably come out with a 3:00:04 (and we all know how much abuse you get for that time!).  

So instead, I am going to take it a little slower and try to really enjoy the race and knock a solid chunk off my PB. There is a great group of us running from the club so there will be lots of support out on the course. I want to try and keep as many miles as I can under 7mm. Around 6:55 - 7:00 would be ideal. However, you can't predict what the marathon can throw at you - I learnt that in Boston! It does look like it might be windy and that will have an impact. 

Having had a sneaky look at previous years results (it would be rude not to!) I think I could have a chance at a top 3 finishing position...so that will also be in the back of my mind. For me, being so competitive, I think that that will be a real benefit of running a smaller marathon. In Boston, coming in as the 300th or 400th lady didn't matter - it makes no difference (to me) being that far down the field. However, the opportunity for a good position (and possibly something shiny!) really appeals to me. Despite this, I am not going to 'race' it. I am going to stick with my 6:55mm plan but if, towards the end of the race, I know I'm not too far off the lady ahead, that will give me something to focus on and might give me an extra boost! 

Here are my targets: 

Bronze: 3:21:13 -If all goes tits up and it's blowing a gale, I'd be happy with a PB.

Silver: 3:12:18 - This is the time that club mate Sophie ran at London - she's currently our fastest GWR club runner in the marathon.

Gold: 3:04:59 - This is the time that men (my age) have to get to gain a 'good for age' time at the London marathon. Despite the fact that I've already got a place for London 2018, I get a bit of stick because the time women need is a lot slower. So I'd really like to be able to say that I'm just as good as the men that qualify! 


With just 15 hours to go, I'm a little anxious but mostly excited! I know I've prepared well and I know I am ready. Here goes...






1 comment: